Part-time job

Part-time jobs help you not only financially, but also as a way to deepen your study of Japanese language and culture and develop your own abilities. Once you obtain your "Part-time Work Permit" from the Immigration Bureau, it is important to work only up to the permitted number of hours and make sure that your studies and research is not adversely affected. You can find jobs on job websites, through classified newspapers, as well as through friends and acquaintances. Part-time job information is also available on bulletin boards at the Nagoya University Coop.
There are various precautions to take when doing part-time work. While you are employed if you have any problems that you are unable to fix, please come to the international student advisor's office of your school.

Application for a Part-time Work Permit

In principle, if your Status of Residence is Student, Dependent or Cultural Activities, you are not permitted to work in Japan. If you wish to work on a part-time basis, you have to obtain "Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted".
Please check the "Residence Card / Residence Status" page for more details.
* Work done as a TA(Teaching Assistant), RA(Research Assistant), etc., is exempt from this permission. Please inquire at the Student Affairs Division of your school for details.

Precautions when doing part-time work

  1. For new students, we recommend that you do not start doing any part-time work until you have a full understanding of your study and research schedule.
    When you want to start doing part-time work, please make sure that you have obtained approval from your university supervisor.
  2. Long holidays refer to the summer, winter breaks. (Golden week is not considered a long holiday.)
  3. The permit is given for the length of your granted period of stay. Therefore, you need to reapply for the permit whenever you apply for an extension of your period of stay.
  4. Working for and doing business in the adult entertainment venues or related industries is strictly prohibited. (The "entertainment industry" includes working in cabaret clubs, bars and night clubs, mahjong rooms, pachinko parlors, and any venue related to the adult entertainment and sex industry).
  5. International students cannot work during their leave of absence from school.
  6. Students should show their Residence Card to their employers indicating the regulations pertaining to the permit (time limitation, work type limitation, etc.).
  7. When selecting a part time job, you should confirm the following content in advance.
    • Whether the work affects your studies (for example, working late at night might affect your studies the following day)
    • Whether there are any problems pertaining to the work content (including safety, insurance in case of accidents, whether it is a permitted work type, etc.)
    • Whether or not translation work involves illegal publications or websites. (piracy, etc.)
    • The employment conditions (payment, transportation expense payment, working hours, etc.)
    • The payment method (whether daily or week or monthly payment, cash or bank transfer, tax payment, etc.)
  8. It is recommended that you ask your employer to draw up a work contract stipulating employment conditions, including the payment conditions.
  9. As it is based on your annual income for current year, the premium of the National Health Insurance for the next year may increase, and the rate of payment waiver of the National Pension premium may be reappraised and adjusted. For further information, inquire at your ward office.
  10. You are required to pay taxes based on the amount you earn at your part-time job. Depending on the amount of your annual income or the tax treaty between your home country and Japan, you might get an exemption or tax deduction. Also, in the case income tax is automatically withheld from your monthly pay, you might get a tax refund by filing a final tax return. If there is any question about your part-time work pay, check with your employer. Also, we recommend that you keep all documents such as your contract and wage slips.
  11. *The period you can file your "final return" is between the middle of February and the middle of March. Please check the information about taxes and "final returns" at the sites below. Nagoya University also arranges seminars and other activities to provide information.
    National Tax Agency
    Aichi Handbook (Aichi International Association)

  12. The requirement of "final return" and the way to file the report varies depending on the situation of each. If you have any questions, you can refer to the associations below:
    Nagoya National Tax Agency telephone consultation