If involved in a Traffic Accident
If Involved in a Traffic Accident
If you are involved in a traffic accident, remain calm and do the following even when the accident seems trivial.
- If anyone is injured, dial 119 for an ambulance.
- Move any dangerous items, including vehicles, off the road to prevent other accidents.
- Call the police (dial 110) immediately to report the traffic accident, even if it is small, and obtain a “Traffic Accident Certificate”. This official certificate will be necessary for any insurance claims.
- Write down the license plate number of the car concerned as well as the name, address and age of the driver, after requesting to see his/her driver’s license.
- If there are witnesses, write down their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
- Make detailed notes of the accident and take photographs, if possible.
- See a doctor, even if you think that you are all right because sometimes symptoms can take time to occur.
- Consult your insurance company as soon as possible.
Compensation for Damages
- The victim may claim compensation from the offending party for all the damages caused by the accident. However, if any fault lies with the victim, damages will be reduced correspondingly.
- Even what appears to be a slight injury may turn out to be a residual disability.
- The offending party’s insurance company will negotiate with the victim. If the victim decides to settle the matter privately, he/she may not be paid any compensation by the offending party’s insurance company.
- Agree to an out-of-court-settlement only after confirming that the compensation offered by the insurance company is reasonable.
Information about free traffic accident consultation service
Website of Nagoya City : About traffic accident consultation
Free Legal Consultations
Nagoya International Center
Tel：052-581-6111 (10:00-12:30 on Saturdays)