Having your family join you in Japan is not simply a way of sharing your experience; families can provide the necessary reassurance and support that international students living in Japan sometimes need. However, some of the adjustments in having a family here might become burdens. More thought has to be given to making life in Japan more enjoyable and meaningful for the family, too.

1. Inviting Family Members to Japan and Necessary Procedures after their Arrival in Japan

(1) Application for Certificate of Eligibility
In order to invite your family to come join you in Japan, you must apply for Status of Residence "Dependent". Only your spouse and children that you are supporting will be eligible for "Dependent" status.
It is necessary that you have stable financial income to support your family throughout their stay in Japan. It is fastest if you apply for the Certificate of Eligibility on behalf of your family at the Immigration Bureau. After you get the Certificate issued, you will send it to your family and your family will apply for the dependent visa at the Japanese embassy/consulate. The Certificate is valid for 3 months. Your family should obtain the visa and arrive in Japan within this period.
Dependent (Immigration Services Agency of Japan website)

(2) Notification of Place of Residence for the Family Members
Within 14 days of moving to the new residence, the family members should visit the Ward Office and submit the moving-in notification. They should take their Residence Card and, in case they live in the same household with you, they should also take an official proof of their relationship with you (marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.). Official documents written in foreign languages should be submitted with their translation in Japanese. An additional document with the name, address, and seal or signature of the person who translated the documents should be submitted as well. You may translate the documents yourself. All the submitted documents should be original. For any original documents that you want returned, please notify the official when handing in your application documents. With the moving-in notification, the family members should apply for National Health Insurance, National Pension System, and other official programs if eligible.

(3) Extension of your Family Members' Period of Stay
Family members who wish to extend their period of stay in Japan should file an application for extension of period of stay. Application for extension can be done 3 months prior to the date of expiration, so be sure to file for the application of extension as early as possible so as to avoid any inconveniences.
Application for extension of period of stay (Immigration Services Agency of Japan website)

(4)Work part-time job
Foreign nationals residing in Japan under the "Dependent" status are allowed to work part-time up to 28 hours per week by obtaining permission from the immigration bureau.
Application for permission to engage in an activity other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted (Immigration Services Agency of Japan website)

(5)When you have a newborn
When a child is born to foreign nationals in Japan, you should submit a birth notification to the ward office/city hall within 14 days of birth, and apply for the status of residence at the Immigration Bureau within 30 days. However, if the child leaves Japan within 60 days from the date of birth, this procedure is not necessary.
Application for permission to acquire status of residence (Immigration Services Agency of Japan website)

Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau 

5-18 Shoho-cho, Minato-ku, Nagoya 455-8601
• Student Inspection Department
 Tel:0570-052259 420#
 Open:9:00-16:00 (Mon-Fri, except national holidays)
• General Information Center
 Tel:0570-013904 (Or 03-5796-7112)
 Open:8:30-16:00 (Mon-Fri, except national holidays)

2. Children's Education

(1) Day-care Centers (Hoikujo)
Day-care centers provide day care for children so that parents who work, study or have other demanding obligations, can proceed with their daily routines reassured of their children’s safety. To apply, submit certificates of studentship or employment to the Ward Office. From October 2019, day care for children aged 3 to 5 is free of charge, but transportation expenses, meal expenses and event fees shall continue to be paid by the parent/guardian. Day care for children aged 0 to 2 may be free depending on the previous year’s income. Please note that your child will not be accepted if there are no vacancies. For further information, contact the public welfare section of your ward office.

(2) Kindergartens (Yochien)
The objective of kindergartens is to encourage children the between the ages of 3 and 5 to develop their physical and mental aptitudes and to prepare them for elementary school. There are both public and private kindergartens. From October 2019, fees for kindergarten are limited or free of charge (depending on the type of kindergarten), but transportation expenses, meal expenses and event fees shall continue to be paid by the parent/ guardian. It is important to get information about application procedures early.
For further information, contact the nearest kindergarten directly.

(3) Elementary/ Junior high Schools
Compulsory education in Japan comprises six years of elementary education and three years of junior high school. Provided that your child is registered as a local citizen, you will receive a school entrance notice from your local ward office when your child becomes 6 years of age. Tuition fees are not charged at public schools, but the cost of school lunch and study materials, about 5,000 yen per month, will be charged to parents. Fee exemption is available, depending on the income of the parents.

(4) International Schools
There are educational institutions in Aichi Prefecture where you can receive education in a foreign language. Please contact each institution for details.

See "Aichi Handbook (Aichi International Association)" for more information on the above items.

3. Parenting

Delivering a baby and bringing her/him up in a new enviro/sodan/e/nment is a challenging but fulfilling experience for parents. There are many considerations, such as selecting a hospital, the financial burden, and child-raising method.
The cost of checkups during pregnancy and that of the delivery are not covered by national health insurance, and you will need to pay around 400,000~500,000 yen for these services. After delivery, a Child Allowance Grant of 420,000 yen (*) is paid through the national health insurance. However, if the parents apply, the grant can be given to the hospital beforehand as part of the delivery fee.
Having and raising children requires the cooperation of family members, neighbors and friends. It is very important to have a good network for mutual assistance.
* If the childbirth facility is not a member of the Compensation System, the sum of 408,000 yen will be paid.

4. Child Allowance

Child allowance may be available for parents with children up to the third grade of junior high school (from ¥5,000 to ¥15,000/month per child as of 2022).
For further information, contact the public welfare section of your ward office.

5. NUFSA Japanese Course for Family

The classes are organized by NUFSA, supported by the Nagoya Sakae Lions Club.
Twice every week, instructors specialized in teaching Japanese help the family members learn Japanese using textbooks.
Other than the classroom learning activities, there are events such as cultural festivals.

Contact:Global Engagement Center Support Team