Opening a bank account

Paying your tuition fees, utility bills or receiving a scholarship needs a bank account. Since using your home country bank account in Japan might incur transactional charges or currency conversion charges, it is more convenient to open a Japanese bank account.
For opening a bank accout, please note that some Japanese banks do not allow foreign residents to open a savings account until living in Japan for 6 months or longer.

Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship Students and Honors Scholarship (Gakushu Shoreihi) Students are required to open a Japan Post Bank account.

【May 19th】JP Bank Account Opening Sessions

We will hold "Japan Post Bank Account Opening Session" for privately financed international students who entered Nagoya University in October 2023, and also a follow-up session for those who opened an account last year.
Please see here for details.
* To open a bank account, you need to make a reservation in advance, and bring the application form that you filled in and printed out.

Japan Post Bank

Applying at teller

At the Nagoya University Post office
Reservations required by phone (Tel: 052-781-4300)
All application procedure only available in Japanese (If you are not fluent in Japanese, you must bring an interpreter.)

What to bring:

Preparation for application forms:(Print out the forms without blank spaces, 100% in size)
Application Form Online Service

Japan Post Bank Direct + (Plus)

This is a non-passbook-type general account. You can make remittances, account activity statement inquiries, and perform other transactions using your cash card and via the Japan Post Bank Direct + (Plus) system.
You can submit an application by mail or online and open an account without visiting a savings counter.

Other banks

To open a bank accout at any other banks in Japan, you need comfirm what you need to prepare in advance and bring a interpreter with you.
Advanced reservation might be required.

Account Opening Sessions at Nagoya University

We hold JP Bank Account Opening Sessions at each entrance season (the beginning of spring / fall semester) for new international students.
The latest information will be posted in "News" on the home page.

About "Non-resident" and "Resident" Customers for Bank Transactions

Based on the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Law, international students are considered as "non-resident" persons by banks and other financial institutions in Japan for the first 6 months upon arrival in Japan. The "non-resident" persons have some restrictions on part of transactions such as making remittance. For example, even if you try to transfer your money from your bank account in Japan in Japanese Yen to another Japanese account, much higher transaction fee may be charged than "resident" persons as it is regarded as international bank transfer.
After the first 6 months, international students in Japan can apply for changing the status from "non-resident" to "resident". To do so, please visit your local bank branch office.
For more information on domestic transfer by "non-resident" persons, please check at the websites provided by each bank and financial institution.
Japan Post Bank